Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My Love of Vintage

I really think that my love of vintage started way back when I was a little girl in the 60s, I remember my very hip mother who dressed in style with her long suede or snake skin look boots and her great 60s hairdo. Looking at old photos now, mum always made sure us girls (sis and me) always dressed quite trendy even when going to school.I have a school photo of me in my rednet stockings (I remember them as red even tho the pic is black and white) and my knee high black boots.

I also remember at school we had a dress up box as many schools did and still do and the brown netted 40/50s style concoction that many of us fought over to wear. I remember wearing it at least once,I must have been determined or fast lol.If I was to go back in time and see that dress today I would most likely think it was quite ugly but it did leave a lasting impression on my mind and the fact I still remember it as a 40/50s style dress through out all my life it must have had an impact on me.

My mum has passed on the love of all things pre-loved (thanks mum) and also of opshops (thrift shops) and jumble sales and I still remember some of the things she bought us to wear.Some of which I was embarressed about owning let alone wearing (due to the style factor,wearing 50s dresses in the 70s ? guilty lol) but I do wish I had them now for my collection and she did make some great choices as well that I did love and remember, even tho I have no photos.

Growing up in the 70s and 80s I remember so many items of fashion and as I got older I always thought the 70s style was awful and hoped it would never come back and the 80s well I am still getting over the shock of the things I wore then.

Now I am an avid collector of all styles from the 70s and 80s and even further back in time. Having a fancy dress hire (hobby) business gives me an excuse to collect them all without too many remarks from the family.

I know that I was an early lover of all these things vintage even going back to the early to late 80s I was collecting vintage clothing before it was even thought of as something worth owning.How I wish I had known what a huge thing it was going to be today.
I have had so many gorgeous items pass though my hands beaded like silk dresses from the 60s that I sold gorgeous camis from the 50s fur stoles and jackets form the 40s and so much more.I do kick myself for not keeping them but have learnt to be more discerning (have become a bit of a hoarder really) now.These days I find it hard to part with anything vinatge or retro, much to the exasperation of my kids (hubby knows its safer to say nothing)

Funnily enough I dont wear much of what I own but I do use alot of the bags and accessories I have collected over time and I plan to extend my collection.

Whenever its possible I like to obtain some history on them.Like the gorgeous hatpin/lapel clip (as seen in pic) I bought recently at an opshop, I found out one of the volunteer workers there had donated it that morning (How lucky was I) and she said it had belonged to her mother who was born in 1896 and died in 1979 her name was Sarah Goshnisk and she was of Prussion descent.She was born in a Town called Roadsvale near Ipswich Australia and tho that was all the info I got it was something.
The hat pin if that is what it actually is,is unusual and can be opened at the back maybe to be used on a jacket lapel? It has DEPOSE stamped on the back * (which could mean it was made to be exported or click on Depose and read another thought )Anyway I just love it and hope to find more unique ones like it.What do you think of it?





Happy vintage searching all and please share with me too.
and remember to keep smiling life is truly wonderful

J

PS if you are looking for a great vintage social site there are many but one of my favourites is http://vintagenetwork.ning.com some great things there.

No comments: