Thursday, July 7, 2011

I decided to do a test

and see if Theodora was still around and she was.

The 6 year old  grandson really, really wanted to go to the oppy today and who am I to say no to that? ha ha,
so I get to oppy and I went and looked in the book section and grabbed a couple oldies then over to the  jewellery section where lady said something about liking antique things and I said I also love old vintage items well she said "did you see the Enid Blyton books?" I say no where? she says  "over in book case" well I raced over no books and she says" oh here they are in the box 50c each or the lady will most like go cheaper if you take them all!"
Enid Blyton + me = happy, happy Nelly.I read all of her books as a kid all Famous Five and Secret Seven and of course the faraway tree and Laura read Mt Twiddle and Naughty Amelia Jane over and over and over again as a kid.
The Box
 I said I'll take them all without going thru them as I had seen some of the old covers. I got the box for $8 and there was more then $20 worth if they had sold for 50c each.I ended up going back to book section and grabbing a few more.Jo's Boys (little women sequel) from 1972 with lovely colour plates and a few more enids Bs and a couple of small Deans books and a couple old lady bird ones including Five Little Kittens and Bunnykins.Also a goodbye Mr Chips from 1948!and a cute little black boy one from 1954 he has an adorable mammie inside as well.

I just upnpacked to see what else was in the box and here they all are including a couple from L.M Montgomery of Anne of Green Gables fame 1954 plus a few I have never hear of but are old.4 Nancy Drew mysteries from 1974 Many are from the same girl Jaqui Orm.There is also a Winnie the Pooh from 1970 and a girls annual.Pretty good day dont ya think?











 

 

 

Then Gson says can we go to one more?Well could I say no?No!! that would just be mean to deprive him dont you agree?  so we  went to 2 more.1st  one got some bits to make master 6 smile and the last one got me a male mannequin even tho they are only the new style half mannequins they will come in handy for me to show things at markets.

I also got this lovely faux fur jacket there are no labels but the hooks  and eyes are the old ones.Its in great condition was $8.

 



Master 6 got this cute hat for 50c

and I got this pile of doileys for $1 which I shall turn into buntings (I cant cut them tho so will fold in half and hand sew to ribbon,Yes I am strange as I dont want to do too much damage in case I want to reuse later down the track.

and baby knitting books



this is  one  from when I was a kid and these booties were the 1st thing I ever knitted and followed a pattern in when I was about 13.I have made alot of these over the years.


Oh and a lovely leather bound address book for 50c
And 2 more little tea cups and saucers.
Well I think thats all from me I am off to rid myself of the greys taking up too much residence in my top paddock they are breeding like rabbits I swear!!

Nelly xxx

12 comments:

Kitty said...

I'm hearing ya on the greys, ever since I had VB they started. I'm too tired to blog tonight but will do FOF tomorrow, are you going to join in?? I'm jealous of your Enid books, we are running out!

fabriquefantastique said...

I used to love the Enid Blyton school books 'First term at Mallory Towers' etc. And what a super idea to make doily buntings.....do you mind if I borrow that, after all, I am the other side of the world.

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Wow, what a haul - those books are fantastic - lucky you!
Liz (Shortbread & Ginger)

Vintage Coconut said...

Wow amazing price for the books, They all look great too! You make me wanna go shopping I have not went in a week.. *cry*

Anonymous said...

YOU GOT THE JACKPOT ON THOSE BOOKS AND LOVE THE ADDRESS BOOK

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Gorgeous books - what an absolute bargain. I'm really in the mood for reading some Mallory Towers, I don't know what happened to mine :(

A Treasured Past said...

hehehe, your last comment is so funny.

Fantastic books Nelly and such a great price!

Kimmie said...

Loved Enid's books as a child~!

Lyndel said...

oh Well done Master6 to help GrannyNelly find all those great treasures. she could not have found them without YOU♥
you look very smart in that new hat too.

Peta said...

2 cups and saucers for fifty cents?! And i can't wait to see the doiley bunting!

Kylie said...

it certainly was your lucky day Nelly, fingers crossed for many more op-shopping trips just like this one!

ladychiara said...

I am drooling all over your page Nelly looking at that super duper fantabulous bargain box of gorgeous old books!!! What a bargain and how simply magnificent!!!!!Can you tell I'm envious and impressed all at the same time? LOL. Master 6 looks super cool in his hat too. 50 cents for cups and saucers....I am crying here! ($10 is the cheapest I can get here and that is rare, they are usually marked at $20-$35) Well done, great op shopping and you certainly had somebody looking out for you! xx